The Adventures of Fran and Bunt

Congratulations to Sepia Saturday for having 200 continuous collaborative posts from a myriad of talented bloggers. To commemorate this celebratory event we have chosen to republish one of our own favorite posts contributed to Sepia Saturday over the past four years. Eventually we hope to publish a book with all of our special 200th posts. I thought long and hard about which post was my favorite...

At first my choice was perhaps a post that had the most hits or comments. Then I thought of a series of posts I offered back  in 2011. I am most proud of them these posts, but ironically most of it is not my original writing. The voice is my mother's from her travel journal. My mother and aunt went on many trips together and those two gals had loads of fun. Adventurous they were! Feel free to browse the other nine posts. The links are below.

This post is the first in a 10 part series on a trip that my mother and my aunt took to the western part of the United States back in 1990.

At this point in her life my mother, Fran, was recovering from complications with her legs and other health issues. She was recently retired from an admitting clerk position she held at a local hospital. Both her and my Auntie Bunt, my father's sister, were very good friends and both widows. They were also very adventurous.

This travelogue was a typical thing my mother did. She was always the chronicler of all our vacations and day trips. She kept journals for a long period of her life. I haven't even had a chance to look at those journals since she passed away.  She typed these pages with all caps on my home computer (big clunkers back then) which I let her borrow for about a month.

I've divided this three week trip into 10 posts. As the photos are actual scans from the pages of her album I have transcribed the text with my own notes in parenthesis and a few punctuation corrections.  I hope you enjoy and also get a chance to see this stunning scenery in the western part of the land. Let me know if my transcription is redundant. I'm not sure it's necessary.
Top photo: Mom, Bottom photo: their car?


May 29 1990 Tuesday Day 1

Susan and Bunt (cousin and aunt) arrived at Zabriskie Drive (my mother's residence) at 7:00AM for the beginning of our western trip. The Hamilton sisters (good friends and neighbors of my mother) where there to wish us bon voyage. Susan drove us through rush hour traffic to Logan (airport in Boston) without any trouble and delivered us to United Airlines Gate 40. A porter took our luggage to be checked, the we proceeded to our DC-10, leaving at 9:15AM for Denver CO.  So far so good. Cheese Omelet, "Driving Miss Daisy" and a nap consisted of the excitement on board the airplane. 3 hours and 15 minutes we arrived at Stapleton Airport 11:05 mountain time, 60 degrees. We were shuttled to Hertz to pick up our 19190 Ford Smoke Gray Tempo Mileage 6980. (Can you see how detailed she was?) Sprinkling and cloudy at 12;15PM but at 1:45 the heavens opened up with a terrible thunder, lightening, and hail storm. I guess the good Lord wanted us to be welcomed royally. The passing cars sprayed water so high we could not see out of the windshield. We were forced to stop three times. We are missing the beautiful scenery. Snow on the roadside and mountain tops as we got nearer to Colorado Spring. We a nice room at the Ramada Inn in Colorado Springs for two night. We canceled out reservations in Pueblo because Ramada is much closer to the places we want to visit tomorrow. We went grocery shopping for ice chest. lime juice etc. We ate dinner at the Village Inn. Pork Chops, salad, stir fry veggies and home mashed potatoes with the skins on. Delicious and greasy. Bunt went into hysterics because I tried to unlock another gray car. (my mother was notorious for this) I must memorize. ZEH-150. After HH we went for a walk to a liquor store and then we threw snowballs. at each other. We also heard there were tornado warning in Denver today. We made it though our first day of our western national parks trip happily and safely.

May 30 1990 Wednesday Day 2





May 30 1990 Wednesday Day 2

46 degrees sunny
We are on the road again at 7AM to Pikes Peak Cog Railroad. We had quite a long wait before the train left at 9:30AM. We talked to a nice young man who planned skiing down the north side of Pikes Peak but the   last we saw of him he was hiking because the snow was not below the tree line. We were told we probably couldn't go any further than 12000 feet but the snow plow preceded us all the way to 14,110 feet. Men were still shoveling a path for us all the way into the gift shop and restaurant. We saw a marmot (looked like our woodchuck) and 3 mule deer. We met a darling 10 year old boy from Topeka, Kansas who gave us a big hug when we said goodbye. I guess he was impressed with us. Just passed a sign that said the Barr Trail 28 miles 3 hours and 27 minutes hiking the is. $17.00 well worth the beautiful trip up to Pikes. We made a shirt visit to Seven Falls for $4.00, very impressive. We drove through through the Garden of the Gods and stopped to climb on these unusual red rock formations. Spectacular setting for our lunch of left over pork chop sandwich. Back to the motel room we play rummy kubes. (they always played this game) Another great day.



Top photo: Auntie Bunt
Middle photo: My mother in front of a big red rock (quite the climber)
Posted by Picasa
For other fine Sepia Saturday posts click here.

Post a Comment

Popular Posts!

Sepia Saturday - Clam Town

Sepia Saturday - Donkey Piggy Back

Working Women