Missing: One Merry-Go-Round

I spy a round table in this week's Sepia Saturday prompt. So here is my take on something round:

What was the first amusement park ride you can remember? It was this very carousel that I can remember. This ride was known as the Flying Horses located at Salisbury Beach, Massachusetts.

And those horses did fly. I can remember my father holding me on the horse as we went round and round. They went up and down by a gear system that was connected to the main drive. This ride even had a brass ring free ride feature!

Although the history on this is vague, it's legend is that it was originally from the famed Coney Island in New York City. It arrived in Salisbury in the early 1900's and was around to give me a few laughs in the 1950's.

The Flying Horses were sold in the 1970's and shipped to Sea Side Park in San Diego were it gave many other children with their own first amusement ride memory

In 2004 in was sold again at action. Whereabouts unknown...

Posted by Picasa

For many more well rounded posts click here  to go to Sepia Saturday



7 comments

Popular Posts!

Sepia Saturday - Clam Town

Working Women

Sepia Saturday - Donkey Piggy Back