Snowbound

As I write this we are expecting 18-24 inches of snow in the Boston area beginning tomorrow (2/8/2013) through Saturday. They are warning of blizzard conditions and  comparing this storm to the Blizzard of '78 of which we celebrate it's 35 anniversary today! I'll post this now in case there is no power tomorrow. lol. Wish us well!

The Sepia Saturday prompt this week shows a lot of snow in need of some shoveling  It reminded me of this I originally posted December 11, 2010.

Snowbound Whitter Home, Haverhill
At the beginning of last summer I featured John Greenleaf Whittier's poem, "The Barefoot Boy." With winter rapidly approaching it's time to feature his "bookend" poem entitled "Snowbound." Whittier grew up on a farm in Haverhill, Massachusetts. His poem evokes a vivid picture of what life was like in the early 19th century rural America. The raging snowstorm outside seems to suggest a looming death which is negated by the family's nostalgia. Below I have excerpted a portion of "Snowbound." The poem can be found in it's entirety here.

I have my own snowbound memories. Only 15 miles from Whittier's home these photos show my childhood home. I can vividly remember trudging through this snow that was up to my waist. Of course I was a little one at the time, perhaps 5 or 6 years old. I never noticed this until now; those footsteps in the snow lead to who I believe are myself and my father at the front door. The left photo is me on top of a huge snow pile, that same day, at my grandparents house.
Photo: CrazyasaCoolFox
(click to enlarge)
Snowbound boys home Salisbury, MA
Photo: CrazyasaCoolFox
(click  to enlarge)



Posted by Picasa
17 comments

Popular Posts!

Sepia Saturday - Clam Town

Working Women

Sepia Saturday - Donkey Piggy Back