The Salmon Run

This week's Sepia Saturday prompt has a bunch of mean looking people looking at a little old woman who seems to be living in a little shack at the side of a river. Perhaps they are not to thrilled that she chose to put her little shack right at their precious fishing hole? Who knows?

From my collection of postcards I found this as a close match:
Postcard: CrazyasaCoolFox
This postcard was in a box of things I inherited from my grandmother. She and my grandfather had living in  New Brunswick and Maine in the early 1900's. She must have purchased a number of postcards from the region and never mailed them. As I recall, my grandfather enjoyed fishing earlier in his life. He once told me that when the salmon ran upriver in New Brunswick you could reach down and scoop them up with your hands.


Southwest Miramichi at Rocky Brook
Photo: Panaramio
I have to hand it to the people of New Brunswick for keeping their rivers wild and free. The Miramichi seems to be dam free from source to sea. To the north the Restigouche river has kept its same wilderness characteristics.

In major contrast, the State of Maine, just to the south, allowed paper mills to dam their major rivers for power. The rivers Saco, Kennebec and Penobscot were damed at several points. Fortunately as the life of these dams approach their usefulness they are being decommissioned and breached. The salmon fishery is slowly making is way back up river.
Enhanced by Zemanta
8 comments

Popular Posts!

Sepia Saturday - Clam Town

Sepia Saturday - Donkey Piggy Back

Working Women