Sepia Saturday - Purple Cow Day

Today we celebrate the purple cow
I bet you didn't know that
it is a bit random anyhow
since I just declared it

(CrazyasaCoolFox's attempt at poetry)


This image is a single page scan from my own c...Image via Wikipedia


For some reason the poem "Purple Cow" came back to me today. I remember my father would say this poem to us kids sometimes to wake us up, sometimes at bedtime. I always laughed so much when I heard it.


So I did a little research on this silly subject. After all this blog is about crazy and cool things. I found this cool "sepiaized" original print from the publication, "The Lark." "Purple Cow" was written in "The Lark," by Gelett Burgess. "The Lark was produced by Burgess himself.


I never saw a purple cow.
I never hope to see one.
But I will tell you anyhow,
I'd rather see one than be one.


Burgess had a great sense of humor evident in the silliness of the poem itself. It became so popular that he was hounded constantly by people asking him if he was the author and to recite it. He became so frustrated that in his final issue of "The Lark," in 1897, he wrote another poem that was a humorous attempt at claiming copyright of the day.


From the Calgary collection of
Cows on Parade
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ah, yes, I wrote the "Purple Cow"—
I'm Sorry, now, I wrote it;
But I can tell you Anyhow
I'll Kill you if you Quote it!



Interestingly Burgess was a graduate of M.I.T. and was an instructor at UC Berkeley. The mascot of the prestigious Williams College in Massachusetts is the purple cow.


His great sense of humor can be traced all throughout academia.


You may find many other "purple cows" at Sepia Saturday by clicking here.


Enhanced by Zemanta
8 comments

Popular Posts!

Sepia Saturday - Clam Town

Working Women

Sepia Saturday - Donkey Piggy Back